14 January, 2010

Difficult Questions are Not Always Cryptic

          I’m afraid I live a series of difficult questions. Challenging really. Predictably socially unpopular and possibly downright incriminating.

          It’s almost a year now that I’ve been fighting the good fight. Every skill in my repertoire has been employed. The eradication of not only my questions but all related thoughts and feelings has been attempted. I have to admit that these efforts have been made not only by me but sometimes at me by members of my family of origin.
          So. My blog has no recent entries. My movie script waits for its third draft to begin. My evocatively crafted fifty page article - the meat and heart of my book proposal - hides under a neatly folded pile of laundry on my bureau. ( This is no small feat. It took careful time and attention to match each corner of the fitted sheet perfectly.) My eight hundred and fifty page prose-poem memoir (perfect standard book length for this form) hides up on the shelf behind my lifelong collection of stuffed Eeyores. The memoir deconstructed and reconstructed in traditional prose form hangs, section by section, in a vertical, galvanized metal magazine rack. The entire body of work, re-crafted as a complete, mixed-genre theatrical performance with both musical and dance scores, nearly radiates in its special high gloss plastic envelope folder that fastens with a particularly nice string detail. The exquisite illustrations I commissioned for this work hang framed in my kitchen, their only adornment an occasional over-dusting of non-gluten flour from my pink KitchenAid mixer. The film documentation of the first performances, still unedited and without form, wait in their mailing envelope. The artist who performed my written words out in Washington state has yet to send me her words and images.
          As you can see, I’ve put the brakes on all projects. I’ve stopped anything that could force these difficult explorations out of me and into the public arena. I’ve tried overwork and under work. I’ve tried distraction, denial and food explorations. I’ve even tried dating. Never one for the easy road, I’ve also taken on new interests, learned new skills, engaged in conversation and begun a spiritual practice of sorts. I’ve built a small building, laid a complicated brick patio, stacked three cords of firewood.
          And through it all, the drumbeat of my questions has continued. They bang at my heart, moment by moment.
          So. I give up.
          Into the public arena I come, questions splayed.
          Because if my words simply refuse to go to nowhere then they have to be somewhere.

          Of course, you dear reader, cannot possibly know this but it’s been days since I wrote the above words. I simply got so frightened that I hid this draft on my desktop and under the deliberately closed cover of my computer.
          Well, now that I’ve completed my tax preparation, Face-Book-ed myself until there is no unknown detail about any of my virtual ‘friends’, cleaned and cared for my birds scrupulously, the only other possible avoidance I can reasonably employ would be shoveling the snow that truly is melting on its own in the rain.

          Here then, is a first stab at articulating some of the disputes railroad-ing through me.

          Ah, the enigma of the mind. What an extraordinary journey it is to be a person. Each time I get close to enunciating - never mind writing - and then God forbid posting, I find another important diversion. For example, because words matter to me - so much - I want to choose each one with care. When it came time to use the word ‘questions’ again, the Language Arts teacher I carry in my head from childhood wagged her finger. So back to my favorite book - the Thesaurus - I go. There’s a lot to say about the word ‘questions’. Many different ways to look at it. The antonym appears to be (in a nutshell): denial. This is good. Engaging with denial has been a driving force in my life and a true source of angst which informs my work.

          And thankfully, this brings me full circle to the questions at hand.


#1           There. I’ve labeled it (this yet to be written) number one. A musing of sorts. With hopes that my words will turn out to be a catalyst for engagement and conversation. So. Again:

#1           Is it ever deeply true that people ‘can’t’ grow in their consciousness and communication? Or is it, as I believe, always a choice? Perhaps a choice that is not readily accessible. Perhaps a choice that feels (or is believed to be) difficult, uncomfortable or downright formidable, but still - when all is said and done - a choice.

#2.          Here we have the bathroom break moment. Now. I’m ready to try again.

#2.           If the life story of a writer/artist dictates a palate (the raw inner truth-material from which to draw) that includes three (yes 3!) violent rapes, and it feels inexorably important to put the work into the world - to craft something beautiful and useful and important - is it possible to do this in a manner that pushes through all the (unwarranted) shame, familial / cultural denial, and incredible fear, and make the work magnificent?


#3.          If, out of incredible trauma, the writer (me) has spent her life both living a vicious form of PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) as well as treating people with PTSD for twenty four years, and if, during this time, she (Yup. Me.) has come to understand that the environment into which one is received after trauma is the single most important factor in determining the formation, duration and severity of said PTSD, and if the writer is willing to write her own life story as a gift for others, and finally, if doing so will potentially hurt the feelings of her family of origin (particularly her mother) and also could possibly facilitate a moving through of the systemic, multi-generational denial that has ruled the family, should she deny her own integrity and not do it? Or should she (as I vehemently believe) do the work that her (my) moral compass dictates?

          Okay. I’m getting there now. A couple more statements of questions and maybe this heart-pounding, palm-sweating, PTSD enhanced fear will subside.

#4.          If the relatively easy screenplay to write is one where the main character is violently raped three times and then sets out to prove that “There’s No Such Thing As A Wrecked Life” but the true story is that the main character - by being born into, witnessing and being profoundly wounded by her mother’s denial - sets out (from childhood on) to prove that how humans experience and make meaning of their lives is a CHOICE, and from this, she embarks on a quest to prove that any life can be magnificently lived, and in the process she is violently raped on three very different occasions, and she continues on to prove that people can choose not to be ‘haters’, can choose to live examined and conscious lives, can choose to live in love and sometimes joy (though these choices are difficult), should she (as I now believe) write the more difficult / more true / more beautiful / much less ‘black and white’ / teeming with fallibility and humanness script? Or not?

          Whew. It’s an incredible challenge to get these non-linear questions into linear form.

#5.           Is it true - as our culture and many families exact - that when a person has tried with everything inside her, to communicate her truth (yup. this is me), and she has been systematically denied by her mother, that caring for this mother through the last stage of her life and on to death, is the morally right thing to do?

#6.           Do we, through our trying, earn our relationships and everything that follows (and if we don’t try, then reap whatever this non-trying sows) or do we get to choose denial and unconsciousness through our life and then as we age, expect / demand / extoll the care we think we deserve anyway?

#7.           And in my fear I have to add this number seven. Is it possible - while sounding callus and downright selfish and unwilling - that one’s own integrity dictates what we want and are willing to do?

          Which leads me to number eight.

#8.           Why do we enfranchise the entitlement and dishonesty of the: “I can’t do it.” with a response of understanding?

          And contrariwise, why do we disenfranchise the honesty of the: “I will not do this because I believe it is wrong.” with a response of rage?

          Even if the “I can’t do it” is a convenient lie and the “I don’t want to do this” is a truth ripped right from the guts of a wound - whether an acknowledged wound or not (Here’s a chapter title from my as yet unpublished book: 'A Boo-Boo Is Still A Boo-Boo') - , somehow the articulation of a desire or the lack thereof seems to elicit a battalion of responses while the disowning of desire elicits an overt complicity.

          So now I’ve done it. Put the morass into words.


cryptic  [krip-tik]

–adjective Also, cryp
tical.
1. mysterious in meaning; puzzling; ambiguous: a cryptic message.
2. abrupt; terse; short: a cryptic note.
3. secret; occult: a cryptic writing.
4. involving or using cipher, code, etc.
5. Zoology. fitted for concealing; serving to camouflage

e
radicate  [i-rad-i-keyt]
–verb (used with object), -cat
ed, -cating.
1. to remove or destroy utterly; extirpate: to eradicate smallpox throughout the world.
2. to erase by rubbing or by means of a chemical solvent: to eradicate a spot.
3. to pull up by the roots: to eradicate weeds.
Synonyms:

  1. obliterate, uproot, exterminate, annihilate.
Integrity: noun

1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty.
2. the state of being whole, entire, or undiminished: to preserve the integrity of the empire.
3. a sound, unimpaired, or perfect condition: the integrity of a ship's hull.



14 thoughts:

anya bredbeck said...

fabulous- so glad you were able to turn that complicated conversation into a cohesive (if confusing and difficult to answer) collection of thoughts- i am greatly impressed and i want you to know that you have already earned an old age full of love and help and connection from me. i love you mom-
anya

Andrea said...

Of course with a heart pounding with gratitude, I take in your words. And. As we said, the beauty of our (perhaps) futile trying, is what makes up the foundation for a magnificent 'second choice' life.

Two try-ers were trying.
They tried.
And they tried.
And they tried.
(This is my newest rendition of a poem an old friend - Mos Johns - wrote about touch.

Anonymous said...

So much to say... this does not deserve a cryptic post from me but a more indepth conversation between us at some point in time....
You know that I am here for you through whatever decision you make as long as you are doing what is best for YOU ultimately. (Janet)

Lindsay Baber said...

Your post is so powerful. I had wondered what had happened to your projects. The drama piece was fantastic, and I could not help but wonder what had happened to it. The questions you posed about family and PTSD ring so true for me as well. I have been told many times that I a)write beautifully and b)have a powerful story to tell, but my fear of the familial ramifications have kept me silent aside from pieces I share on message boards or my Live Journal account. It is safer that way for the time being. I remember having a conversation with my father at Thanksgiving two years ago, upon his prompting, that I most likely would not be the daughter to take care of him as he ages. I did not go into my reasoning, but ultimately, it is because that he was so physically and emotionally abusive, has said I am a liar about the rapes I experienced and of course about his behavior, and has been very critical about my being a lesbian. I think my PTSD was so rampant for many years because I could not separate myself out of this crazy family dynamic. It was only when I broke free of that and started living life on my terms that my healing really took off. Anyway, after my rambling a bit, I just wanted to say that your words really resonated with me.

Parry moorhead-Lins said...

We all have a choice to create how we want to be..how we want to respond to all that is unconcious, self-serving, harmful and unwittingly evil in this world. It means taking a stance. For me that has meant extending grace to those who don't deserve it..because I want to be a person who extends grace, because I want the world to be filled with others who extend grace and if I don't do it then who ever will? This goes for everything that I want to be and see reflected around me. If I did not care for my mother with alzheimer's despite our bitter differences, I would not have experienced the comfort and healing that arose out of it. No one wants to care for an aging relative. Everyone wrestles with it when the time comes. It is very hard work but there can be an alchemical moment when the energy and power of the resentment can turn to gold. Mining into the depths requires setting aside what is visceral and obvious(not for the weak)and truly make yourself change your mind about how you choose to perceive the circumstances. When one does that, magic happens.

Pete F said...

Hmmm... That fog keeps coming back to me... Did you already partially tell me, or did I half-guess... No matter, I know what you mean, even without details. I lived it too. Sucks real bad. I told my two boys the other day what happened when I grew up - they always wondered why they never met my family of origin. But they knew I came from a family who were, in their words, 'mean', but they didn't know how. Now they know more or less what happened (without the gory details). No more covering up.

Don't know what to tell you about worrying about hurting your family. I can tell you that I don't worry about hurting my family - I don't give a rat's ass. In my case, the mother megabeast was the one who allowed it, told me to stop 'making it up', told me not to tell anyone, cleaned up after it happened, etc. How many parents would be locked up if they did these things to anyone other than their own kids?

Sorry to rant. I hear your struggle with your history. But it's yours, not your mother's, it's you to decide for yourself, not for anyone else. Good luck. And I'm sorry I didn't even know, when we were young and I couldn't help. There were so many of us... I do care now, if that's any consolation.

Lawless Jane said...

I agree with so much of what people have written so far - especially Pete F, who says "it's yours, not your mother's its for you to decide, not anyone else". what you've written is powerful and disorienting -- I feel that I am surrounded by a strong current while reading. I believe that some people are constitutionally not capable of honesty -- especially self honesty -- and that you must above all take care of yourself. the problem is, taking care of yourself -- doing what you need to do for yourself -- well, how do you know? you take a step, and pay attention, I guess. blessings on your work.

Unknown said...

Hi Andrea,

Your post moved me deeply, and really made me think. I so enjoyed reading the comments as well, + was particularly struck by Parry's words, "extending grace to those who don't deserve it... because I want to be a person who extends grace, because i want the world to be filled with others who extend grace." Yes, yes, and yes again. Love it.

Unknown said...

Random thoughts:

Questions equal self doubt, self examination. Does it fit in the definition of loss of confidence or an exacting humility? I really resonate with yourself-questioning, your not being sure, your refreshing lack of fundamentalism. For me it is better to be loving than it is to be right. Who knows what right is?

Qss 1: I believe it is a choice to step on the path of spirituality, consciousness and growth. And yet, it is not. For I think the people with huge spirits-the seekers- can’t help it. They just have to. And once on that path it is nigh on impossible to settle back to the couch-- to the Twinkie eating, mindless reality show absorbing ,vacant life. The unexamined life.

Qss 2: I wonder, sometimes, if it is the violent emotional pain that pushes the artist to heights. My finest poetry/song lyrics are from the ache of abandonment, or lonely longings for love. I think that pain adds weight to the artistry.

Unknown said...

More random thoughts

Qss 4: You say, “should she (as I now believe) write the more difficult / more true / more beautiful / much less ‘black and white’ / teeming with fallibility and humanness script? Or not?”

Hard one.... The choice is not easy, and the harder the path, the harder the choice. God abandons you, or you abandon God, and yet still you can live in joy and choice of the positive. You can witness disaster and despair, experience it personally, and still make that choice. It is the challenge of the soul seeking enlightenment. To see God in everything, even the rapist. And God knows I am not very far along this Mother Theresa-like path… stumbling along just happy to have learned a light touch of grace, and forgiveness… But then a recent cruel man left my spirit in tatters, and I fought hatred and PSTD from the callous stabbing to my open and trusting heart. Maybe it is a choice over and over and over again, every minute. To forgive every minute, again and again. Maybe it is never a done deal.

Qss 5: Ah, now you’ve got me…. My mother systemically denied me, didn’t see me, criticized me, broke my heart, looked through me to others who satisfied her more than I. And I am in the same quandary. Do I abandon her? Forgiveness remains out of my grasp for this soul, although I have tried a hundred times to achieve it. I don’t see the duty aspect or the ethical or moral demand on us, but I see the lesson that we might learn in forgiveness and grace as too huge to turn our backs on. I am just not big enough to achieve it yet…

Unknown said...

Final random thoughts:

Qss 7. Yes, I think everything we do in life is dictated by our level of integrity, whether high or low. It is the boundary, the gate, the stopping point for thinking people.

Qss 8. At least the articulation of the desire shows a step in the direction of movement. Denial, with the “overt complicity” from others, is deadness, stuckness, lack of movement, lack of growth, status quo... back to the Twinkie-eating TV-watching unconsciousness.
And maybe we empower the "I can’t do it" with understanding because tough love is hard. Or because acceptance of exactly how we feel is the place to start to begin to transform. But then CHOICE returns. To live with the fear, the negativity, or lack of confidence- I can’t do that. I choose to change that attitude, that outlook.

And some people just damn well don’t have it in their nature, in their constitution, in their DNA, to be able to see that possibility, much less make and take action on that choice. That choice to say “I can do it, or damn well die trying.”

Unconsciousness is the easy road, even though it has deep suffering and blindness, unsuccessfully soothed with sugar, alcohol, drugs, alcohol, sex, power grabs, image consciousness. Consciousness takes so much damned work, so many choices, over and over. It takes intent and determination.

It is work to wade through our own psyches and reach a point where we accept or own feelings enough, then pull back from them to realize they are only part of the triad that houses our soul. That triad of body, mind and emotions. Sometimes it helps to gaze on our own emotions as the passion of the ego, of the tiny child that we love are for whom we are responsible. To place her gently and lovingly in the passenger seat of the car, taking control of the driving with all our mind and the loving kindness of our spirit.

Andrea said...

I intended my next blog post, and my next, to answer in some way, the many heartfelt and thoughtful comments that were left here. I'm moved tonight to write some other, more personally responsive words. I've done a lot of thinking about the comments posted here and I truly appreciate each one. I hope to grow this conversation to a point where it becomes truly interactive. I'm working closely with an amazing woman to attempt a virtual form that can allow for this. In the mean time though ...

Lindsay: Thank you so much for writing. It takes tremendous courage to have had that conversation with your father. I admire your efforts. It's clear to me that the stories and the decisions that we make after wards are truly individual and that there is no one right answer. What I hope is to catalyze a conversation and explore many difficult questions in the process. I'm finding myself a collector of stories. Do you have any interest in contributing some of your writing to a larger blog conversation?

Andrea said...

Parry. So grateful, glad and excellently challenged by your words. This part: "Mining into the depths requires setting aside what is visceral and obvious(not for the weak)and truly make yourself change your mind about how you choose to perceive the circumstances." presented me with the most difficulty. And how truly glad I am to be able to interact with people who are willing to mine these arenas. So here are some of my current thoughts. Like everything from a sculpture to a Russian borscht, materials, ingredients, and context have everything to do with everything. Many people describe a journey similar to yours and for many of them, a similar set of decisions and magic. And since I am asking questions and exploring answers, I do not yet know how my next chapters will unfurl. I do know that your words quoted above evoke something deep for me. I've spent much of my life not speaking my stories. What may appear 'visceral and obvious' to some could in fact be simple obscurity shrouded in dissociation. For me (at least right this minute) changing how I 'perceive the circumstances' has meant allowing that my stories (and me) have a place in the conversational arena at all. I've fought long and hard to be able to tolerate the intensity of my PTSD so that I can speak and write, never mind post my words and questions in the public arena. I do this in the hopes that others will find a place along with me. What I've set aside is the messaging that I was taught. The shift in my perception is to allow that my perception counts. And that out of the fact of me - and the enhanced illness I've struggled with, largely exacerbated by the denial in my family - I'm left to wrestle the aches of love, truth, culpability, reciprocity and outcome.

Andrea said...

Pete F. Thank you for your words. They mean a lot to me. I left running so fast back then that I never took the time to tell you that I recognized you. That I admired you. And I'm so sorry that your life story has you resonating with mine and vice versa. Our stories are not the same and yet the swath they cut seems markedly similar. Denial wounds something fierce. And yes. You'd hope that if people do what your parents did, they'd be locked up in some way that'd help. As a species, we haven't created that way. Yet. I'm glad you've told your children. I realized a long time ago that my kids live with my scar tissue, despite my best efforts. So at least our naming it reduces the chances of them blaming themselves. I'm sorry too that those things happened. To so many. That's why I'm hoping to take the stories and craft something beautiful out of the 'after'. If you know any people who might want to participate in a larger conversation, please invite them. Every story helps.