31 January, 2009

Laura's Crush (2005)

I asked my mother if they’d shoot
the white horse
that reared up on Thursday.
No. She said
they don’t do that anymore.
She almost laughed.
Rueful I guess is what we call it
when my mother’s mouth
is half up towards something silly
and part way tucked in
to accommodate the wound.
I didn’t intend to mourn
the white horse.
That’s not why I asked.
I don’t even know it’s name
or if it has a gender.
But what am I supposed to want
for the animal
that reared up so high
it fell over backwards
and crushed my little sister?

(CONT.) CLICK:

2 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

very very well written. she writes something and repeats it, in a way, that you'd think would be annoying, but it matches completely to what she is talking about. this is a true story, but it sounds like a fantasy. and in parts it doesn't make sense, yet when you think about it, it does. a very unusual writer, and will probably become very famous one day.

Anonymous said...

Very well said, my dear!
Chau Chau J.