29 January, 2009

Slippers, Racism and Charm School

It’s a good thing I love my slippers. Granted they do poke past the back of my foot quite a bit but that’s because they’re one size too big. I like this though because they still work with enormous baggy socks and when my feet are swollen. My slippers also satisfy my personal aesthetic. They, just by the nature of their size, force me to be what I’ve always wanted. It’s indisputable that this makes for a good relationship, being the best you can be, brought on by the other. See I’ve always had a fascination for women who shuffle in their scruffy slippers but whenever I’ve tried to walk that way I hear my mother in my head. She used to say: "…walk like a lady. Lift up your feet.” I went to ‘Charm School’ when I was eleven. They taught us how to balance a book and fold socks so the top of one didn’t get disfigured by stretching around the other. My mother’s prescription for me was: “You walk like an elephant.” She told the teacher this in a very loud voice the first day when she took me. I know the other girls were glad they weren’t me but look at me now. I’m aging but I made it to here, ethics intact. It’s still a little hard to scuff in my slippers though, because of guilt. I don’t want the ‘Charm School’ fees to have been a waste but when I sneak outside and it’s so early that my breath catches in the peeking light, I just scuff away.

The problem started this morning when I hit the grounded snow avalanche from the neighbor’s roof. The path I so carefully made two shovel-widths wide is now a mess of lumps and craters, frozen solid. I love the crunch though. I went up there to retrieve my errant garbage pails. The pickup was a day late because I put them out without remembering that even though racism has been covertly dominant in Boston, garbage pickup was one day delayed all week because of Martin Luther King day. The wind blowing and my aging forgetting made for a mash-up of trash receptacles, deep inside a neighboring yard. I just walked right in there, hoping the two pounds I think I lost (it could have been where I set the zero on the scale) would keep me afloat through the center-of-their-yard snow-drifts. Nothing doing. My slipper sank and left me. I was one on, sock on ice, with a fist-grip on the pail. It’s okay though. The temperature is low enough that my sock didn’t saturate and thank goodness it’s not as though my slipper fell through a pond. I like to find gratitude wherever I can. Particularly now when everything in our Country is looking up and people are so hopeful and things seem worse than ever before in the history of humankind. Thank God I didn’t have to lay on my belly and poke my slipper up and out with a stick. What if someone had come by and heard my slipper yelling “help” while my sock announced my lack of darning skills and I covered my eyes in hopes that our cultural belief: “…if I can’t see it, it isn’t happening…” would once, just this once, be true so I wouldn’t have to embarrass myself and disappoint my mother.

I got it though. And my slipper is drying happily with its mate, comfortably quiet near the woodstove after I shuffled all the way back down the path. It was a little cold for the toe that pokes through the hole in my sock but other than that, I’m happy to report that all went well.

4 thoughts:

Anonymous said...

a story that is kind of random, yet humorous. i love it!

Anonymous said...

Ivoire Foreman at 12:13am February 18
it is amazingly beautiful how in a ditty about scuffing your slippers, you can interlace so much content while still maintaining a very lighthearted tone. I am so there with you in terms of accidental puddle stomping shoe losing episodes although my route to the garbage is through a driveway that I am thinking of renting out as an ice rink. I also find it interesting how living in these cold climates there are things we can talk about and just know kind of like snowy consistencies;
how someone looks when they catch themselves slipping on ice, the fact that we all make due with the streets being a lot smaller. I love the imagery your words create as well..cool points for making me giggle profusely at my desk!

Andrea said...

Thank you so much for writing and more for reading! So many people suffer from what I call the 'TOO' syndrome. That they're 'too' sensitive or 'too callous or 'too' talkative or everything matters 'too' much to them. I think the truth is that everything matters. We are a permiable species. I love playing with the notion that while we are doing 'X' all these other things occur as well. It seems to catch the painful poignancy and simultaneous humor of our condition.

Here's a little pickle for us. I need to pause and look up 'Permiable' as it's red-lined here as a mistake. Being one of my more often used words, I've got to get it right. So. Spelled incorrectly by me it lead to several concrete contractors and products. Proper spelling: PERMEABLE leads us to Merriam-Webster: "–adjective
capable of being permeated." or in Andreaspeak: Permeable Species: A species comprised of adaptations connected by beliefs with more holes than substance.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.